Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Am I Cheap?

Just wondering - Am I cheap, frugal, or very wise?

I got a renewal notice for my Runner's World magazine subscription which just expired.  The notice offered me a "special price" for $21.97 for 12 issues or $1.83 per issue.  The notice also indicated that I could get 18 issues for the same price if I renewed online.  So being FRUGAL I decided to go online to renew and to get the price per issue reduced to $1.22 for a total savings of almost $11.00.

So I go online, press subscribe (couldn't find a renew button) and what comes up is a new subscriber price of $24 for 24 months or only $1.00 per issue.  Now I'm kind of ticked off.  Why should a new subscriber get a better rate and an existing customer?  So what did I do?  Picked up the phone and called customer service.  The call was this quick.

CS rep:  How may I help you?
Carl: I want to renew my subscription but I don't want to pay more than a new subscriber would pay.
CS rep:  How much was the offer?
Carl:  $24 for 24 issues
CS rep:  OK, I can give you that rate.  How would you like to pay for it?
Carl:  Send me a bill please.
CS rep: OK.  Is there anything else I can help you with (they are trained to say that)?
Carl: No - Thank you.

So by making the call I saved $21.97.  Does all this effort make me cheap, frugal, or wise?

1 comment:

wjvanbeek said...

Frugally cheap in the purest sense of the term.