Saturday, October 10, 2009

Rosemary for the Winter

Each year I grow the herb rosemary in my garden. I just love fresh rosemary with potatoes. The plant produces so much rosemary that I also dry the limbs so I can use them throughout the winter. Each year around this time I dig up the plant, pot it, and bring it inside. I've had pretty good luck with the plant making it through the winter but I have lost some as well. I generally don't get any fresh rosemary during the winter - the plant goes dormant - and like me is just trying to make it until spring. That's when I'll put it out in the garden again.

My favorite potato recipe using rosemary. The ingredients are approximate since I've never measured the amounts - I just throw in what looks right.

2 TBS Olive Oil
2-3 Potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 onion, diced or sliced
1/2 green pepper, diced
1 tsp garlic powder (you can use fresh as well)
1-2 tsp dried rosemary (or 1-2 TBS fresh)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Heat the oil. Put the potatoes in oil making sure you don't burn yourself. Add the onions and green peppers and spices. Cook on medium heat until the potatoes are soft, turning frequently so they don't burn. Serve hot with ketchup.

2 comments:

Carl H said...

Carl, glad to see you're also fond of rosemary and garlic - a couple of my favorite flavors. I make a similar potato dish - I quarter red or yellow potatoes or cut russets into large 'steak fries', toss well in olive oil until the spuds are well coated then add minced garlic and fresh or dried rosemary + kosher salt/black pepper (sometimes I add paprika). Arrange in one layer in a baking dish and roast for 45 minutes/hour until they're golden, I stir a few times during cooking.
Easy to add to the oven anytime you're roasting something else or baking something savory.

Carl said...

Sounds good. Garlic is one of my favorites. There is almost no such thing as too much garlic in a dish. Fortunately, my wife likes garlic as well.