Friday, January 8, 2010

Review - 2009 Goal 1

My first goal last year (2009) was to read four non-fiction books.  It was ACHIEVED.
I read plenty of fiction books but it is just harder for me to want to sit down and read a non-fiction book.  

In February I read My Life on the Run by Bart Yasso.  Bart was the guest speaker at the Cellcom Marathon kickoff party in January so I decided to read his book about running.  If you are a runner I think you will like the book.  I also learned how to request a book at the library.  No not how to find it on the book shelf rather how to submit a request for the library to purchase a book so it can be loaned out.  Barts book had just recently been released and the library didnt have a copy.  I didnt think I wanted the book for my library and, being cheap, I wasnt going to buy it.  The process to request a book from the Brown County library is real easy and, in this case, worked quickly.

In April I read Lost! by Thomas Thompson.  I found this book in a old Readers Digest condensed book we had around the house.  It didnt have much of an impression on me as I dont remember anything about the story and Ive given the Readers Digest to Goodwill.

After taking the summer off from reading non-fiction I completed The Intelligent Asset Allocation by William Bernstein in September.  An excellent, excellent primer on how and why to do asset allocation as an investment strategy.  William Bernstein is an excellent author and this book as well as some of his others is currently guiding my personal and professional investing portfolio.

Finally, in November I completed reading 48 Days to the Work You Love by Dan Miller.  An well written book to provides practical guidance on conducting  a job search.  I liked the book so much that Ive purchased additional copies and have started giving them to people that have lost their jobs to help them get back in the game.  I would also recommend someone reading this that wanted to find a different job.  Great advice on networking.

No comments: