Friday, February 20, 2009

Change for the Better

Change.

I have been reading my good friend Chris Elliott’s blog about change where he suggests that many of life’s changes are like winning the lottery. Today as I was doing a long run (only 4 miles this week) for the half marathon that I’m training for I reflected on my previous run and decided to make a change.

It was last Wednesday at 4:15. The day was cold, overcast, and the snow was coming down heavy with gusty wind. My running partner and I were running side by side facing traffic when an approaching car was very close to us. I slowed and fell in behind my partner to give the car additional space. As the driver went be he flipped us off! This is the first time anything like that has happened to me in all the years I’ve been running.

So what change am I making? When running and a car takes a courteous and safe action and moves over to give us more space I’m going to give them a friendly wave – a small reward for doing the right thing. I know it isn’t much but I’m hopeful that by expressing my appreciation the driver will remember next time and give space again.

Making the world a better place one wave at a time.

Carl prior to his first half marathon

No comments: