Thursday, February 19, 2009

New Floor

My wife and I decided a few weeks ago to replace the carpeting in two of our bedrooms with a laminate wood floor. We (well actually a friend and me) are doing the work to save money and because I like learning new skills. Here is how the floor looked before the installation.

After almost 12 hours of work with only one break for lunch we finished the floor. It was not harder than I thought it would be but it did take longer than anticipated. Putting the flooring in around the closets (shown above) took alot of thought and discussion to ensure we didn't make flawed cuts. We only made one wrong cut and, until we learned how to get pieces to snap together, we damaged 4 or 5 boards. Fortunately, we were able to use all of them in other spots.

I grew up in a house with hard wood floors and I hated them. Thirty plus years makes a big difference in attitude. I love the look and feel of the new floors. They are well worth the cost and effort.

Thank you, Dave, for the help. I couldn't have done it without you!

No comments: